1 866 838 5818 Toll Free from USA and Canada

Visa and Permits for Tibet

Tibet is an autonomous region of China and so Chinese government regulates tourism in Tibet in order to minimize the negative effects of tourism upon its fragile environment, culture and politics. All visitors to Tibet must travel with an authorized tour operator or its overseas representatives with a prepaid and pre-planned itinerary; equipped with necessary permits and Chinese visa.

You will be assigned a licensed guide to accompany you throughout the tour.Independent traveling, backpacking or hitching is considered serious offence of the laws and you invite a lot of legal and financial troubles if you are caught.There are two kinds of permits for traveling in Tibet: The Entry Permit (TTB permit) and the Alien's Travel Permit (PSB permit). The permits are the part of the tour package. No tour operators offer you the permit only service.

TTB Permit - Tibet Entry Permit

TTB permit or Entry permits must be produced when you check in Lhasa bound flight or at the port of entry. While entering Tibet overland, besides TTB permit, the guide must be holding PSB -Alien's Travel Permit and numerous other permits needed for different regions.

PSB Permit - Alien's Travel Permit

If you want to go further to the "un-opened" areas out of Lhasa, you need an Alien's travel permit issued by Public Security Bureau (PSB) of Tibet. It is called "Alien's Travel Permit" or "PSB permit".

Traveling Tibet via mainland Chinese Cities

If you plan to travel to Tibet via mainland Chinese cities, you need obtain Chinese visa on your own first and provide us a copy of the visa (at least a month before your travel begins) so that we can apply Tibetan permits for you. The permits are applied by us for you in Lhasa. Original copy of the entry permit is delivered to your hotel or contact point in the gateway city such as Beijing, Chengdu etc. Chinese regulation does not permit producing copies of the permit or shipping out of the country and actually, we will not have time enough to do so. You need to present the original permit to check-in the Lhasa bound flight.

Traveling to Tibet via Nepal

If you are entering Tibet via Nepal (by flight or overland), the Chinese Tibet tourism regulation requires that we apply your group visa in Chinese embassy of Kathmandu!!! Our local office in Lhasa obtains Group Visa Invitation for you and we will need to submit your original passport and invitation document to Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu. Normal visa processing requires 3 working days but with an additional rush fee, we can collect passport and group visa the same day evening after 5 pm.

In principle, group visa is valid for the period of trip you book through us but we can try to add a few days extra if you wish to extend your trip in mainland China.

Passport Validity

Remaining validity of your passport must be minimum 6 months beyond the last day of your trip. Make sure you are not running out of blank visa pages. If you are a diplomat or journalist, we will not be able to obtain permit for you.

Bottom Logo

(Formerly Highland Asia Travel)

United States

8030 Old Cedar Ave S, Suite 123
Minneapolis, MN 55425
Tel: 1 612 605 4428
Fax: 612 807 1137


Kapoordhara, Samakhusi, Kathmandu
Tel (977 1) 4351780, 4381823
Fax +977-1-4381369


KMT Building, Nordzin Lam, Thimphu
Tel (975-2) -329098 / +975-77204087
Fax (+975) 2 337004


B5-1-2, B3 dong, Renchen garden,
No 13 Jiangsu road Lhasa Tibet China.
Tel: +86-(891)-6836609,
Fax: +86-(891)-6836619

Far & High is member of

ASTA TOP NTA Midwest Bbb ccra True

Toll Free

1 866 838 5818

(USA & Canada Only)

Connect with us @

Facebook Twitter Google Plus

We Accept